Wednesday, February 26, 2014

blog #2

I am a cheerleading coach at a local high school. I coach the varsity team, which consists of 19 girls in grades 9-12. I really enjoy my job. I started cheering when I was seven years old. At the time, I lived in Florida, and cheerleading is very popular down there. When I moved back to New York, I continued cheering all the way through college. I was eventually offered a coaching job at a high school down the block from my college. When I moved back home after graduating, I was fortunate enough to be offered a job at a school just fifteen minutes from my house.
In years past, the team I coach was made fun of frequently. However, it was my goal to help the girls earn the respect they deserved. This was the first successful season for the team, and they are now proud to be a part of the cheerleading program. We won two titles, a sportsmanship award, and finished the season by being named the eighth best team in New York State. I am very proud of what my team has accomplished this year, and I am looking forward to our future as a team.

Vocabulary Words.

1) Popular : well liked, or respected. When we say "popular" we mean that whatever we are talking about is normal and accepted. It is the opposite of being disliked or frowned upon.

2)Graduating: when we finish a grade we "graduate" from it. It is like saying we are moving up to the next thing. At certain grades we celebrate the graduation. When you graduate middle school, high school, and college we have big graduation ceremonies to celebrate your hard work.

3) Fortunate : this is another word for lucky or blessed. When we say we were fortunate enough to do something, we mean that we were lucky enough to be able to do it. Fortunate is a very positive word. The opposite of this word is " unfortunate" which is a negative word we use when something is unpleasant or bad.

4) Deserved : to deserve something means you work hard to get something, and it is not simply given to you. You deserve to graduate school because you do your homework and study.

5) Sportsmanship : sportsmanship is very important in sports. It means we have a good attitude when we are playing. Having good sportsmanship means we do not yell bad things at the other team, and we remain respectful even if we lose.

6) Accomplished : this is saying we did it! When you accomplish something you have completed what you set out to do. An accomplishment is another way to say you have reached a goal.

Grammar Exercise:
Please write a complete sentence for each of these words. You should have a total of six (6) complete sentences.
1 - popular
2-graduate or graduating
3- fortunate or unfortunate
4- deserved
5- sportsmanship (good or bad)
6- Accomplished

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you spoke to your students about cheer and doing an activity. I feel like this can relate to your students and keep them interested in your blog.

    ReplyDelete