Sunday, March 9, 2014

When I was eight years old, my family left my hometown and moved to Florida. It was a very hard transition for me, going from the north to the south in the middle of the fourth grade. I was so sad when we left New York. My parents joked and said I cried all the way there.  When we arrived at my new home, I was elated to see that it was very beautiful and spacious. The new house had a massive swimming pool. I loved that because I had been on a competitive swimming team at home, and did not want to give up my favorite sport. However, when I began school I really started to miss home. I was not well liked in my new school at all. I was very angry with my parents for making me leave New York. My time in Florida was very hard for me, and I was very relieved when we decided to move back home. I understand that it is sometimes hard to leave a life you are used to to begin a new life somewhere else. However, not all change is bad and you should always remember that one day everything will resolve itself.

Vocabulary Words:

Hometown : we call the place where we grew up our hometown. It does not need to be the town you live in right now, but rather the one that you think of when you think of growing up. My hometown is Island Park, New York. Even when I lived in Albany, Island Park was still my hometown.

Transition : going from one place or thing to another. Transitions can sometimes be a hard thing.

Elated : this is another word for excited

Spacious : this means that there is a look of room for activities. My living room was so spacious, that before we put in furniture, we had a game of catch!

Massive : this is a word for something that is very big. It is another word for huge or giant

Relieved : this is when you are worried about something, and then find a solution. I was relieved when I saw I did well on my test. That means I was worried about the results, but was happy with the score.

Resolve : this is a similar term to relieved. When something resolves itself, it means that it all worked out in the end.

Activity :
(1) Please write at least two paragraphs describing a tough time you had to overcome, or a move.
(2) Please identify all the punctuation you use in your paragraphs.




No comments:

Post a Comment